It doesn’t matter where you are in your journey to build your own business. Or, maybe you have already built something. It’s always a great idea to review the process to reach that goal to become your own boss and serve the community. Below are a set of videos that can help with that process. And, perhaps, you could add your own experience (both good and bad) to the public domain for all to benefit.
Price is what you pay.
Value is what you buy (get).
How To Run A Profitable Business & Make Money
What are clients really asking when say, “How much does this cost?” What I wished I knew when I ran my first business. Learn the difference between cost, price and value. In this live stream Chris shares how you can make more money by knowing the difference between cost, price, and value. He reveals that value is subjective to the person buying.
Video (52:23 minutes)
Seth Godin - How to Get Your Ideas to Spread
Seth Godin, the world-renowned marketing and leadership author inspires us on how to get our ideas spread when mass marketing and traditional advertising have moved to the past.
• Mass marketing and traditional advertising don’t work anymore.
• Everyone is a click away, which means that both opportunities, but also competition, are increasing.
• “People like us (do things like this)” - the job of the marketer is to find the people like us and determine what do things like this really mean.
• The winners will be those who can find the right niche and lead them.
Questions to consider:
• What is the niche customer segment your product or service is for?
• How can you reach and lead that group?
• How can you make your customers feel that you see and hear them?
Video (59:51 minutes)
Seth Godin | How to make sure you NEVER get fired
Seth Godin explains how to make sure you never get fired in this exclusive keynote from his bestselling book, Linchpin. Seth is the bestselling author of 18 books and is arguably the godfather of modern permission marketing.
- make art
- give gifts
- do work that matters
- make a difference
This applies regardless if you are an employee or a business serving a big client.
Video (52:12 minutes)
How To Build A Business That Works | Brian Tracy
Prior to founding his company, Brian Tracy International, Brian was the Chief Operating Officer of a $265 million dollar development company. He has had successful careers in sales and marketing, investments, real estate development and syndication, importation, distribution, and management consulting. He has conducted high-level consulting assignments with several billion-dollar-plus corporations in strategic planning and organizational development.
Video (49:42 minutes)
Seth Godin – Leadership vs. Management - What it means to make a difference
The world-renowned marketing and leadership author Seth Godin talks about the difference between leadership and management, the confusion surrounding them, and why the world needs more leaders.
- Management works well in terms of increasing economic efficiency and productivity. But, in the face of rapid change, the world needs leadership to get through this stage of unprecedented transformation.
- You should strive for excellence. Producing something truly great is the only way to build competitive advantage because sophisticated robots, artificial intelligence, and low-paid labor will handle the trivial job of assuring quality.
- You should focus on “soft skills” which are actually “real skills”. Those are the characteristics that differentiate a potential employee from a robot.
- Effective leadership can help companies navigate difficulties and failures, and eventually find successful processes to get forward.
- A leader solves problems even if they are not on his agenda.
- Write your own story.
- Quitting is for winners not losers but you should know when to quit.
Questions to consider:
- How can you become more of a leader than a manager?
- How can you and your organization strive for excellence instead of just quality?
- Are you focusing on real skills?
- How can you make better processes in order to fail more efficiently?
Questions you ask as a designer:
- What are you trying to do?
- Articulate your objectives using absolutely no jargon.
- What is new in your approach and why do you think it will be successful?
- Who care?! If you are successful, what difference will it make?
- What are the risks?
- How much will it cost?
- How long will it take?
- What are the mid-term and final “exams” to check for success?
Video (42:56 minutes)
Seth Godin’s Marketing Secrets to Launching a New Business
What would Seth Godin do if he had to launch a brand new business from scratch, anonymously, with only $1,000? What are Seth Godin’s marketing secrets?
Louis Grenier asks Seth Godin to come up with a business idea on the fly, walk us through how he would launch an online business with $1,000, and market it to success within 3 months. Join us as he shares his wisdom and marketing secrets to launching a successful business from the ground up.
- Choosing a small niche target audience
- Creating and promoting valuable free content
- Building trust to generate leads and create profit
- Consumer culture and why everybody hates marketers
- Advice and resources for overwhelmed marketers
- Purple Cow by Seth Godin
- Permission Marketing by Seth Godin
- Kevin Kelley – kk.org
- The Cathedral and the Bazaar by Eric Raymond
- Penguin Magic
- Scientific Advertising by Claude Hopkins
- Ogilvy on Advertising by David Ogilvy
- The War of Art by Steven Pressfield
- The Art of Possibility by Rosamund and Benjamin Zander
Video (51:22 minutes)
Seth Godin - Everything You (probably) DON’T Know about Marketing
Today on Behind The Brand, Seth Godin details everything you (probably) don’t know about marketing. Marketing is often a misunderstood concept often viewed as simply creating demand and driving brand awareness. Seth Godin dispels this view by explaining the difference between brand marketing and direct marketing, evaluating the value of a brand in marketing, and reviewing key differences between psychographic and demographic marketing.
His great insight into what we don’t know about marketing is adopted from his bestseller - Seth Godin, This Is Marketing.
Video (47:07 minutes)
Inside Seth Godin’s Masterclass - Marketing
He has written 18 best-selling books, including The Dip, Linchpin, Purple Cow, Tribes, and What To Do When It’s Your Turn (And It’s Always Your Turn).
For more information on Seth visit https://www.sethgodin.com/
Common concepts for today’s marketing:
- Status Roles… change.
- Minimum Viable Audience
- R0 - (infection reference) adoption bell curve - early adopters
- Empathy (Direct / Brand)
- Positioning as a Service
Video (84:40 minutes)
How Great Entrepreneurs See What Others Don’t
From Stanford Graduate School of Business
Video (10:48 minutes)
Effective Ways of Engaging in Small Group Networking Conversations
We will help you find effective ways to engage in small group networking events. To develop strong personal and profession contacts that can open doors to opportunities in the future. You can learn how to become an effective networker by following a few key guidelines that we will show you.